Given yesterday’s Site of the Week, I figured that it would be appropriate to use this week’s Link Roundup to focus on cults and new religious movements. As usual, I’ve tried to keep any news articles relevant to the past few weeks. If you’ve got any comments about any of these links we’d love to hear from you!
1) Scientology accused in Australian Parliament – A Senator in Australia brought forward accusations made by many former members alleging that the Church of Scientology is involved in the systematic abuse of its members.
2) Man sentenced in Scientology cyber attack – keeping the Scientology theme, a man has just been sentenced for his role in a denial-of-service attack on the Church of Scientology last year.
3) FLDS polygamous sect member guilty of sexual assault – the case against the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has been going on for a while now, with one of their members recently found guilty.
4) Hare Krishnas celebrate 40 years in London – The International Society for Krishna Consciousness has been running week long celebrations leading up to this weekend, which marks the 40 year anniversary of their founding in London.
5) Memorial erected at Jonestown – Just over 30 years ago, 900 followers of Jim Jones either committed suicide or were murdered. Gunmen from the compound also murdered Leo Ryan, the California Rep. who had been sent to investigate allegations of abuse. The Guyana government has erected a memorial plaque to commemorate the tragedy of Nov. 18, 1978.
I hope that these articles give you something to think about, and certainly make you more aware that it is vitally important to have full knowledge about any organisation, or even individual, that you hand over your spiritual growth to.